Wednesday, December 14, 2011

BBQ Chicken Flatbread Pizza




I love cooking for my husband. He has a hearty appetite and is a very honest critic of my food - which can lead him down the wrong path might quickly... When I asked what he wanted for dinner on a cold Friday night, he said " make me something crispy, gooey and cheesy.". Quite the combination to ask for on the night when the fridge is running low on pretty much everything except condiments and leftovers, (some of which are questionable). I had a little bit of roasted chicken breast left, some random herbs and a pantry full of miscellaneous items. The perfect concoction popped into my head once I saw my Costco size bottle of BBQ sauce.... Flatbread Pizzas!!!! Crispy... Cheesy.... Gooey.... Perfect combo not to mention super easy! This recipe literally took me all of 30 minutes to make and really put a smile on the hubby's face. I thought this was very close to the BBQ Chicken Pizza at California Pizza Kitchen and therefore patted myself on the back for a job well done :)
The BBQ sauce plays a very crucial role in this dish. I strayed from my usual Sweet Baby Ray's and chose to go with Masterpiece BBQ sauce, it was both tangy and spicy, precisely what I wanted for the pizza. Gooey, Cheesey, Tangy, Crispy...Perfect for our Friday night on the couch.

BBQ Chicken Flatbread Pizza

The flatbreaf recipe is an oldie but a goodie that I used 2 years ago in one of my other recipes. You can find some of my other recipes that I made with them here .

Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as an entree

Flatbreads

1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup olive oil plus more for brushing
*Preheat oven to 450°F with a heavy baking sheet on rack in middle. I used a pizza stone instead.

2 Cooked Chicken Breasts, Shredded, tossed in 1/2 a cup of BBQ Sauce of Choice *I had left over chicken breasts, use whatever kind you have on hand, or just roast some up with salt and pepper and olive oil in the oven*
1 Cup Good BBQ Sauce
1 Red Onion, Sliced
2 Cups of Shredded Cheese * I used a Pepperjack Cheddar Mix, Italian blend would work well too*
1 Bunch Cilantro, Roughly Chopped

1. Stir together flour, chopped herbs of choice, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Make a well in center, then add water and oil and gradually stir into flour with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Knead dough gently on a floured work surface a few times.
3. Divide dough into 3 pieces and roll out 1 piece on a sheet of parchment paper into a 10-inch round. Make sure you cover the others with plastic wrap so they don't dry out.
4. Lightly brush top with additional oil and scatter small clusters of rosemary leaves on top, pressing in slightly. Sprinkle with sea salt. Slide round with parchment paper onto preheated baking sheet and bake until it is a pale golden color, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer flat bread to a rack to cool, then make 2 more rounds (1 at a time) on fresh parchment.
5.Since I was making them right away with my toppings...I took out one of my oven racks ahead of time and used that as my cooling rack. That way, I could just assemble flat bread and stick them back in the oven.
*Flatbread can be made 2 days ahead. Just cool it completely, and keep it in an air tight container at room temperature.*
6. Once flatbreads are cooked and cool to handle you can assemble the flatbreads. Shmear BBQ sauce on the flatbreads with a pastry brush. A nice layer to cover all the bubbling nooks and crannies will do.
7. Sprinkle 1/3 of shredded chicken, 1/3 cheese and (yup you guessed it) 1/3 of the sliced red onions on the already shmeared flatbread.
8. With a spoon, drizzle a bit more BBQ Sauce on the flatbread (hey they don't call it BBQ Pizza for nothin')

9. Place into the preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until cracklin and bubblin!
10. Sprinkle with plenty of cilantro and serve!

No comments: