Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Soy Citrus Salmon and Thai Peanut Slaw




In the summer months when evenings are longer and the weather is nicer, I try and get out of the house as much as possible to enjoy those few warm months we are blessed with in Chicago. Therefore, my meals tend to be quicker and less fuss.
I always found that slaws can be easily made with minimal work and maximum flavor and vitamins. Salmon is always a good go to fish for something nice and quick.

I came up with this meal last week when I came home late from being outdoors all day! The fish only took 30 minutes to marinate and during the time that it marinated I made my slaw.

Happy Summer everybody I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do!


Soy Citrus Salmon and Thai Peanut Slaw


Soy Citrus Salmon

1.5 Pounds Fresh Salmon (preferablly wild) sliced into desirable portions
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1 Tsp Sesame Oil
1 Orange, Juiced and Zested
1 Lemon, Juiced and Zested
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
Black Sesame Seeds to Sprinkle for Presentation

1. Combine all ingredients in a ziplock plastic bag and let stand for 30-60 minutes. (Any longer than this and the acidity in the citrus may start cooking the fish, much like in a ceviche)
2. Place in a 450-degree oven for 15 minutes, or until center is flaky and pink.



Thai Peanut Slaw

1/2 a Head Red Cabbage, Cored and Thinly Shredded
1 Head Napa Cabage, Thinly Shredded
1/2 a Red Pepper, Thinly Sliced
4 Scallions, Thinly Sliced on a Bias
2 Tablespoons Cilantro, Finely Chopped


Spicy Peanut Dressing for Slaw

1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
3 Tablespoons of Water (use as much as needed to get a thin consistancy)
2 Teaspoons Seasame Oil
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 tsp Siracha Hot Chili Garlic Paste

1. Combine all in a blender until smooth and creamy. Toss with slaw veggies just enough to coat.

*This slaw is meant to be crunchy and fresh, do NOT over dress or you will end up with a soggy mess! Save remaing dressing for another meal!

4 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Mila, this looks delicious. Great tip to remind folks not to overdress slaw. Have a wonderful evening.

Sharon said...

This is definitely my kind of meal! I have made the dressing mistake with slaw before and I'm glad you sent out the reminder!

Peter M said...

Mila, nice to see you back and the salmon looks fab, a colourful slaw and delish to boot!

Unknown said...

Boy, am I happy to see you posting again. Your recipes are always superb (and delicious)! Having trouble opening your blog in Internet Explorer 8, have to use Firefox.